Soapnuts or soapberries are the natural alternative to traditional laundry detergents & fabric softeners. They are mostly known as 'soapnuts', but they are not nuts at all. They are in fact a fruit!
Soapnuts are a natural plant-based product that have been used for many generations.
The soapnut tree is a deciduous plant that produces small black berries, the fruit of the Sapindus Mukorossi tree, which grows in several different regions around the world, but is most prevalent in the Himalayas.
The shell of the fruit is then collected, dried & packed for use. The shell is exceptionally high in 'saponin' which is nature's soap.
The shells have a high saponin content that functions as a natural surfactant. This means soapnuts have effective cleansing properties.
This saponin content reduces the surface tension of the water so it will remove dirt & leave fabrics soft & clean.
Besides that, Soapnuts are gentle and do not damage the fabric texture. This implies that they can be safely employed to get clean fabrics and also to maintain fabric structure. It also functions as a fabric softener and conditioner to impart a fluffy and crisp feel to your fabric.
Soapnuts can be reused and is suitable to be used at all temperatures.
YOUR SOAPNUTS OR SOAPBERRIES COME IN A HESSIAN BAG, AS WE OFFER A REFILL SERVICE, YOU ALSO RECEIVE A COTTON WASH BAG, SIMPLY PUT REQUIRED NUTS IN THE BAG & DOUBLE KNOT
Why are soapnuts/berries so fantastic?
- Easy to use & reusable
- Soapnuts are a natural alternative to traditional laundry detergents and soap.
- Hypo-allergenic. Perfect for those with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Money saving. Soapberries cost around 10c per wash load for a 1kg bag. Compared to conventional washing powders, they can save you a great deal over the course of a year.
- Harsh chemical free, grey water safe, septic safe & fully compostable.
- Soapnuts are 100% sustainable, & their use ensures that deforestation is reduced in the Himalayas.
- Soapberries eliminate the need for fabric softeners as they leave clothes feeling soft & fresh.
- Our soapnuts are also certified organic by USDA.
- Soapberries can be used in any area of the home. They can be used as laundry detergent, shampoo, hand wash, household cleaner, body wash & have many more applications.
- Anti-bacterial & anti-fungal.
- Not tested on animals.
- Perfect for babies & children as they are extremely gentle yet effective.
- Reduce pollution.
- Soapberry trees are often subject to deforestation, so purchasing them ensures that they are maintained as a form of income for the Nepalese people, thus reducing deforestation.
- No pesticides, fertilisers or chemical treatments have been used in the growing or storing process. This ensures that nothing but 100% natural organic products are used in your home.
- Nothing is more precious than your health & the health of your family. Conventional soaps & detergents contain a veritable cocktail of harsh chemicals, capable of causing dry flaky & itchy skin along with untold health problems now & into the future. To use: Simply add 5 whole shells (or equivalent) to the provided wash bag & throw it in the machine... its that easy. Each set of shells will do approx 5 wash loads, depending on water temperature & wash cycle, etc. You can make a potent multi-purpose liquid by boiling the berries for 15 mins, & use the liquid for anything from a shampoo to a cleaner. Dish soap: Soapnuts offer a safe and effective alternative to the regular dishwashing soaps & solutions. You can easily prepare homemade dish soap and use it for regular cleaning. Soapnut shampoo: Soapnuts are widely used in many hair tonics & are renowned for their ability to revitalise the appearance of hair. With its nourishing properties, soapnut can enhance the texture of your hair making it feel smoother and bouncier. Soapnut shampoo can be easily prepared at home & can even be combined with other natural ingredients to enhance its properties. Body wash: Homemade Soapnut body wash is easy to prepare and offers a healthier alternative to regular soap. Gentle & natural, this organic body wash can deeply cleanse your skin making it feel smoother and softer. PLEASE NOTE, IF YOU IN FACT COME ACROSS A BERRY DO NOT ADD IT TO THE WASH, THIS COULD RESULT IN BLACK MARKS ON YOUR FABRIC.